Friday, March 28, 2008

The Chazinator turns 4!



Hip Hip Hooray, Charlie is 4 today. Actually yesterday (the 27th) but it takes me awhile to get caught up. Charlie had a great birthday. Thanks to all that sent cards, presents and email wishes. It's hard to believe Charlie's 4! He's such a little spitfire, it just seems like he's been here forever. We started our day off at a local gymnastics place that had open gym from 10-11am. It was our first time (not sure why that is) and we LOVED it. In fact so much, Charlie put on the waterworks when it was time to leave. Charlie's favorite? ... the 12 ft long pit filled with square foam pillows ... whew what great fun jumping, diving and wrestling his brother in that. We then went to lunch with three of Charlie's classmates who we met up with at the gym. There were 12 of us and of that 12 ... eight were kids ... so sorry for the unlucky tables next to us at Blueberry Hill.


Since Charlie is now dairy-free, I had to experment with my yummy chocolate cake recipe to come up with something that the whole family could eat. I'm glad to say that Almond milk works just fine and that the cake was as yummy as ever (perhaps even yummier). After cake, Charlie tore open his gifts. His favorite ... a stuffed Henry the Octopus (any mom's out there with young kids will recognize this character from the Wiggles). He loves it and asked to go to bed 1/2 hour early last night to snuggle up to his new best friend. Henry now joins stuffed Dorothy and Wags also from this show. Unfortunately, the earlier bedtime did not translate into earlier sleep and I had to remind Charlie around 9pm that Henry was tired and needed rest. I think I heard the duo playing again around 3am. Thus the major waterworks, tantrums and unruly behavior today! "What" you say ... "unruly behavoir from a 4 year old?" Well if Sharpie to the wood floor is any indication how this years going to go ... can we graduate right to age 5?. Fortunately Simona was here to show me how to remove it without scratching the floor or ruining the finish. I bought her and her team a well-deserved lunch.
Because we are on spring break this week and I am reminded how exhausting it is to entertain the under age 5 set 24/7 ... sooooo today I went to Charlie's preschool for next year and signed both boys up for 8 weeks of MWF morning summer camp and cough up the cash. Between Summer Camp, Korea Camp, vacations, swimming, Tae Kwon Do, therapy ... we're set.
Charlie's IEP is next week and I've been working hard to get the proposal together basically asking the school district to budget tuition, therapy, an aide for the 08/09 school year. Since I'm asking well into the 5 digit range, I've got quite a sales job ahead of me. We work with a behavoiral consultant/psychologist who knows a lot of the legal wranglings within the school system so she's been a great guide. Unfortuantely, not much is covered for kids with developmental delays or autism with insurance. So much is out of pocket, that it's really important to be boned up for the yearly IEP evals even if it means hiring lawyers who specialize in disablity law. Keep your fingers crossed we do well so we don't have to go the ugly legal route.
On a final note ... we couldn't break our sixth straight week of sickness. Chris ended up with the crud this week. As soon as he started shivering ... I bolted to the guest bedroom. Sorry love, but I've got to have my game face this week since there is no school or tae kwon do. OK, natives getting restless so off the library we go.

No comments: