Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Go Big Red!!!



As a Husker, Go Big Red! has so much meaning for me. Now the phrase has added a new dimension.


Background: coming off of Disney high, the boys have had a rough week re-adjusting. Chris in his new role is busy busy busy (see two blogs ago). He's pulling long hours and on the road again - it's where he needs to be and it keeps the lights on here.


So of course in front of Charlie's ABA therapist this afternoon, the boys decide to have a knock down, drag out. As my octave level peaked and as one last toy and fist sailed through the air, I proclaim: "THAT"S IT. No TV tonight, No super hero shows or Calliou for 3 days ( the boys favorite shows). No TV period!" At which point ... about 30 seconds later ... I'm thinking 'wow did I overreact ... it's 6 hours til bedtime. I'm solo (CTR is in Seattle). I'm going to need some creativity here. Wow who is really being punished here!'


So after dinner, I sent the boys to play outside on the swing set. While I was cleaning up the mess, the vision came to me. The boys came inside and here's how it came down:




Jet: I'm bored. I'm not playing with Charlie anymore.


Mom: Really. Sorry to hear that because I was just getting ready to pull out BIG RED.


Jet: What's big red?


Mom: I'm not sure that you boys are really ready to handle Big Red yet.


Jet: I'm 5! What's Big Red?


Charlie: I'm a big boy. I can handle red big.


Mom: I'm not sure guys. It can be pretty scary. Are you sure you can handle it?


Jet: Yes! Charlie: Yes!


Mom: OK, let me get Big Red out.


Jet: Where is he?


Mom: In the hall closet.


(we open the hall closet door)


Charlie: (holding broom and dust pan) Is this Big Red?


Mom: Oh no ... Big Red sucks everything off the floor. That's a broom ... and it's green.


Jet: Where is it mommy? Charlie: Is it in there mommy? (OK Big Red is the vacuum and it had been awhile since they had seen it)


Mom: Here you go boys, let me introduce you to Big Red. It comes in pieces ... and


Jet(before I can finish): I get to use Big Red first.


Charlie: I want to hold Big Red too.


Mom: Tell you what. You both can use Big Red. Whoever goes first can only feed Big Red stuff off the wood floor. He has a soft mouth for that. Whoever goes second ... watch out. We put the big mouth on big red and he sucks up everything around him. Better get your shoes and coat off the floor and in the mud room now boys.


(scramble, scramble)


Jet decided to take Big Red out first. I was surprised. I thought with all the super hero, power ranger, ninja stuff that he loves that Jet would go for power.


But we can't discount Jet's forward thinking. As soon as Big Red was powered up, Charlie went scrambling out of the room.


Mom: Charlie, where are you?

Charlie: muffled, Here I am.

Mom: Come here Charlie, don't you want to walk big red.

Charlie: No

Mom: Come on Charlie, Big Red is going to eat off the carpet now.

Jet fires up Big Red. Charlie Scrambles.



Where's Charlie?
IN REFUGE, HIDING UNDER THE DINING ROOM TABLE WITH HIS NEW PAL ... DUSTPAN!

Guess Big Red might be a bit much for the 4 year old crowd. Glad ol' Dusty is still around to keep us honest.



No comments: