Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Driving Home the Point ... Literally

Have you ever been so mad and frustrated with your kids that you do something that in hindsight may have been a little over the top! If there is a club for this, I just became an honorary member. Here's how it started out.

I was outside with Charlie and Jet when I was sucked across the street by our neighbor (Farmer Tom ... another blog story). Jet ran into his best bud, Audrey and begged if she could come over and play. I told Jet that she could come over for 15 minutes if it was ok with Audreys Mom, Suzy. And away they went to ask Suzy. Well Farmer Tom coaxed Charlie and I into his backyard to cut off a squash from one of his vines (like I said ... a whole 'nother blog). Not to far into this, another "across the street" neighbor informed me that Jet and Audrey just crossed the street by themselves and went into our house.

WHAT!!!!!!

I grab Charlie and across the street I go. Jet and Audrey are hiding in the house (do they think I might be mad!!!). When I asked them if they crossed the street, Jet replied, "yes, but I looked both ways" which translates into ... "yes I looked both ways when I was about 1/2 way across" (I've seen this too many times).


"OK" I yell, "EVERYONE ON THE FRONT STOOP".

"why" says Jet.

"Don't ask just do as I say" I reply.

Charlie, Jet and Audrey all sit on the front step.

I have an orange in my hand.
"Do you guys see this orange?"

"Yes!" All three reply.

"Well I want you to watch this". I proceed to place the orange underneath my right van rear tire, start the van and throw it into reverse. I roll down my window ....
"Is it mashed?"
"yes" all three chime in.
"Well guess what ... I didn't even feel the orange when I ran over it. This orange could be what would happen to you if a van or car runs over you!"

I turn off the van and jump out. "OK, all three of you ... up against the van". They all three line up.
"Jet, can you see in the window?" "no"
"Audrey, can you see in the window?" "no"
"Charlie, can you see in the window?" "no"
"well guess what ... if you can't see the driver then they can't see you. Understand?"

Jet replies, "yes mom ... ummm ... now can you run over an apple" just as I look over and see Charlie scrapping the orange off the cement and putting it into his mouth, .... "MMMMM" charlie says (he hasn't had oranges in 6 months due to his excema skin).


ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only has the point been totally lost on this group .... now I'm sure the whole block thinks I'm a stark raving lunatic who entertains her children by driving over produce in her driveway.

No comments: